qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:38:14 -0600

On 12/27/2009 05:37 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
I'd like to discuss two questions related to changes that
are committed to the shared tree.
1. A lot of patches are committed without being posted
    to the list first, thus they go in without review.
    Why is this good? Can this be addressed?

Personally, I try to send every patch to the mailing list. I think it's a good idea to not only encourage additional review, but also to give people a chance to provide input and participate in the process.

At the same time, for some people who are either committing to a subsystem that noone cares about or who are committing trivial things, I understand that this seems like an artificial road block.

If you see a patch get committed that you feel really should have gotten additional review, please send a note about that specific patch to the list. I think that's the best way to resolve this. In a lot of circumstances, I assume the committer doesn't even realize that people would care to comment so this sort of feedback can be helpful.

2. When a change is committed to the tree, often no notification is sent
    to the author.
    Why is it a good idea to ask everyone to subscribe to qemu commits
    list as well? Can 'applied thanks' mail be sent to patch authors?

This is on my TODO list for this week. I think the best solution is to get qemu-commits working and make sure that it also sends the note directly to the author.

There are ~35 patches committed each working day. That's a lot of unnecessary traffic to qemu-devel IMHO.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks,