qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: GSoC 2011 project ideas

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: GSoC 2011 project ideas
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:54:19 +0100

On 2011-02-28 19:51, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> I have added my 2010 still valid projects (all), and three more.
>
> I also added myself as mentor for the USB projects, as I recently got
> experience on how the QEMU's USB stack works.

Great! Interesting to hear that you already have started with webcam
emulation. Also Firewire would be a cool project (better hurry
implementing it in QEMU as long as there is still real hardware around ;) ).

> One of the projects I suggest, implementing USB 3.0 XHCI may need to be
> merged with clean up of Gerd's USB 2.0 EHCI emulation patches.

Alex told me about plans for working on XHCI, and he also set up first
contacts to Intel on this (e.g. to clarify the legal aspects when using
that spec). I think he's not in the house ATM, but he will likely
comment on this once he's back.

Besides that, I think even basic XHCI emulation might be a bit more than
a GSoC project - unless XHCI became much simpler than EHCI or we find a
really advanced student.

> I think just cleaning up for mainstream the patches done by Gerd is too
> simple and fast-to-be-done for GSoC, but as it's Jan's proposition I will not
> merge them.
>
> Jan if you agree with me, feel free to merge both projects, I'll mentor it.

As I said, I didn't find Gerd's tree to asses the remaining todos. It's
likely more than "just merging", but if it isn't and this is not worth a
project of its own, even better! EHCI support in QEMU is overdue.

Jan