qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Status and RFC of patchew testings on QEMU

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Status and RFC of patchew testings on QEMU
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:11:42 +0200

On 18.07.2017 01:17, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Mon, 07/17 11:41, Thomas Huth wrote:
>> On 17.07.2017 08:35, Fam Zheng wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Today I've included a fourth type of the automatic patchew replies: FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> So far we have these tests running by patchew on each patch series:
>>>
>>>   * Docker tests
>>>     Basically it is
>>>         make address@hidden \
>>>              address@hidden \
>>>              address@hidden"
>>>
>>>   * checkpatch.pl
>>>     Each patch is fed to ./scripts/checkpatch.pl and all errors are
>>> reported.
>>>
>>>   * s390x
>>>     It runs on a machine shared by Fedora team, basically only "./configure
>>> and
>>>     make", because "make check" hanging is tricky to deal with from an
>>>     automation perspective. (Ideas?)
>>
>> Is there any check that could hang "forever"? I think most of the checks
>> should have a proper timeout of one or two minutes, don't they?
>>
>> Maybe you could also simply run the "make check" with the "timeout"
>> command to avoid that it hangs forever?
>
> Not every operation has a timeout in our tests, with the usual culprit being
> vhost-user-test.
>
> timeout can terminate make and directly invoked qtest commands, but qemu
> processes that block or hang cannot be cleaned up.

Could the test be rewritten to provide a proper timeout handling
instead? Tests should clearly fail after a while instead of hanging
forever...
Or maybe we could add some magic that the troublesome tests are not
executed if a certain environment variable is set, so we could skip them
in these automated setups here?

 Thomas