qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel configurations for various Microblaze syst

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel configurations for various Microblaze systems
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 00:47:18 +0200

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 01:59:15PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 05:01:34PM -0300, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> > Hi Guenter,
> >
> > On 06/27/2018 03:52 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like to add Microblaze "petalogix-ml605" and "xlnx-zynqmp-pmu"
> > > to my list of qemu boot tests of upstream and stable release kernels.
> >
> > Do you mind sharing your tests on this thread?
> >
> Nothing secret about it. The test results are always available at
> http://kerneltests.org/. The scripts are published at
> https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test. My qemu clone (I carry a few
> patches on top of upstream qemu) is at https://github.com/groeck/qemu.
>
> > "Who is running QEMU automated tests, and when?"
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-04/msg04695.html
> >
> > > Unfortunately I have been unable to locate working kernel configurations
> > > for the those systems, nor working qemu command lines. I found a few
> > > links,
> > > but they are all dead.
> >
> > I got more lucky using the Xilinx downstream code from:
> > https://github.com/Xilinx
> >
> > In particular using their downstream DeviceTree:
> >
> > https://github.com/Xilinx/device-tree-xlnx
> >
> > I also used those links:
> >
> > http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/MicroBlaze
> > http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Build%20kernel
> >

> AFAICS they are all generic, and don't reference specific boards
> (other than maybe the possibility to configure those boards). There are
> comments such as "start with mmu_defconfig and modify all parameters
> which are special on your board". That is great, but trying to do that
> for an evaluation board that I don't own and just try to get running
> under qemu is a bit difficult since I don't really know what I am doing.
>
> The best I was able to accomplish was to boot petalogix-ml605 without crash,
> but with no console output either. I could try to debug further, but I don't
> really want to waste my time.

Hi Guenter,

Re: ml605
The thing to watch out for with kernel configs for microblaze systems is the
physmem address setting. Unfortunately the kernel does not auto-detect this.

I'm attaching a kernelconfig for the ml605 that works for me and a qemu
commandline.

qemu-system-microblazeel -M petalogix-ml605 -m 256 -serial mon:stdio -dtb
petalogix-ml605.dtb -kernel arch/microblaze/boot/linux.bin -append
rdinit=/bin/sh

Re: pmu
The PMU board does not run Linux, it runs baremetal power-management related
firmware.

Cheers,
Edgar