quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] only 1 quilt dir.

From: Randy.Dunlap
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] only 1 quilt dir.
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:17:20 -0700

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:51:55 +0200 Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

| On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 19:20, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > Is it possible (with current quilt version) to have all
| > quilt-and-patches-related files to live in only 1 sub-directory?
| >
| > With (former) patch-scripts, I use the "quilt" sub-directory
| > for everything.  It localizes all patch-quilt-related files
| > that way.
|
| Andrew's patch-scripts did spread files all around the source tree when
| I last checked.

Maybe if nothing was pre-initialized.  If I create a quilt/ sub-dir,
everything goes into that.

I sent Andrew several patches for this last year, which he merged.
Some commands were assuming top-level txt/, pc/, and patches/
instead of using $P.  I fixed ones that needed fixing (last year).

Do you happen to recall what version of patch-scripts that quilt
evolved from?

| > Can quilt do this today?  It looks like it wants to spread things
| > around in patches/ and .pc/ and I want them all in one sub-dir,
| > no matter what it's named.  Can I set QUILT_PATCHES=.pc so that
| > everything ends up in the .pc directory?
|
| You can set the QUILT_PATCHES and QUILT_PC directories as you wish.
| Although I don't see the benefit in doing so, both can point to the same
| directory. the patches directory contains the "valuable" pieces of
| information, while the .pc directory only contains meta information that
| can be recreated by re-aplying the patches from the start.

Sure, it's just for sanitation.

| > Also, does the first usage of quilt in a new tree setup the
| > needed files and directories?
|
| Well, each command sets up whatever it needs, so no initialization is
| required.

Oh, does 'quilt diff' do the equivalent of Andrew's 'rolled-up-patch'
script?

Thanks.

--
~Randy