quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] only 1 quilt dir.

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] only 1 quilt dir.
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:41:57 +0200

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 20:17, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:51:55 +0200 Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
>
> | On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 19:20, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> | > Hi,
> | >
> | > Is it possible (with current quilt version) to have all
> | > quilt-and-patches-related files to live in only 1 sub-directory?
> | >
> | > With (former) patch-scripts, I use the "quilt" sub-directory
> | > for everything.  It localizes all patch-quilt-related files
> | > that way.
> |
> | Andrew's patch-scripts did spread files all around the source tree when
> | I last checked.
>
> Maybe if nothing was pre-initialized.  If I create a quilt/ sub-dir,
> everything goes into that.
>
> I sent Andrew several patches for this last year, which he merged.
> Some commands were assuming top-level txt/, pc/, and patches/
> instead of using $P.  I fixed ones that needed fixing (last year).

Nice.

> Do you happen to recall what version of patch-scripts that quilt
> evolved from?

I don't recall, but the docco.txt from the version I used has "18
October 2002" as timestamp. I haven't found the time to check for
improvements in Andrew's scripts since then; also quite a number of
rather specific commands are missing in quilt. I'm sure there are a few
commands that are generally useful but haven't been ported over, yet.

I wouldn't mind adding more stuff to quilt so that it becomes a more
complete substitute for Andrew's scripts, or at least providing a way to
easily integrate domain specific commands. What I want to avoid is
polluting quilt with so many specific features that the basic idea gets
diluted too much. I haven't talked to Andrew about this; feel free to
forward this to him if you think it might help.

> | > Can quilt do this today?  It looks like it wants to spread things
> | > around in patches/ and .pc/ and I want them all in one sub-dir,
> | > no matter what it's named.  Can I set QUILT_PATCHES=.pc so that
> | > everything ends up in the .pc directory?
> |
> | You can set the QUILT_PATCHES and QUILT_PC directories as you wish.
> | Although I don't see the benefit in doing so, both can point to the same
> | directory. the patches directory contains the "valuable" pieces of
> | information, while the .pc directory only contains meta information that
> | can be recreated by re-aplying the patches from the start.
>
> Sure, it's just for sanitation.
>
> | > Also, does the first usage of quilt in a new tree setup the
> | > needed files and directories?
> |
> | Well, each command sets up whatever it needs, so no initialization is
> | required.
>
> Oh, does 'quilt diff' do the equivalent of Andrew's 'rolled-up-patch'
> script?

Create a combined diff of a range of patches? It can do that, yes. See
`quilt diff -h'; options -c and -P. I think that this will do what you
want (after pushing all patches):

        quilt diff -c-

Did you check the introduction paper in the cvs repository? It's pretty
helpful to get a quick idea.

Cheers,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>