quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Time for 0.43?

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Time for 0.43?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:53:13 +0100

Hi Martin,

> > > A patch that keeps "---" lines in 'quilt refresh' is here:
> > >
> > > http://developer.osdl.org/chrisw/quilt/quilt-refresh-linux-kernel-style.patch
> > >
> > > I don't know who wrote it.
> >
> > Well, I did :) And just as unsurprisingly, it is already merged in CVS:

> > Tue Oct  4 18:43:42 CEST 2005 - address@hidden
> >
> > - scripts/patchfns.in: Prevent patch_header and patch_body from
> >   mistakenly considering "---" alone on its header line as the
> >   beginning of the patch body.

> > This is one of the many reasons why I'd like to see the CVS version of
> > quilt released as a new numbered version soon.
>
> I need your expertise here. I seem to understand that it would close a bug
> reported against the debian package and detailed here:
> (quilt: Put diffstat behind a --- separator)
>
> Could you please confirm/infirm?

It's related but different.

The patch I wrote and merged makes it possible to include "---" on its
own in a patch header and get "quilt refresh" to preserve it. In 0.42,
"quilt refresh" would erroneously drop that line (and everything after
it) because it looked like the beginning of the patch itself.

The patch which was submitted to the Debian bugtracker would make
"quilt refresh" add the "---" separator automatically. It also kills a
lot of the refresh smartness, so it is definitely not suitable for
merge. I guess it does exactly what the bug reporter needs, but not all
users of quilt have the same needs, obviously.

The proper way to achieve what the reporter needs would be to implement
support for header templates in quilt. There have been efforts in that
direction some times ago, but nothing was merged.

So, my fix will certainly make the reporter happy (compared to older
versions of quilt), but it may not be enough for him, as he still would
need to add the "---" separator manually. Maybe you can pretend 0.43
fixes his problem (once it is released and you packages it), close the
bug and ask the reporter to reopen it if he still isn't happy.

--
Jean Delvare