Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Delete Enough To Finish

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Delete Enough To Finish
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:22:31 -0800

> Any chance rdiff-backup might be re-coded in C?  Or at least its
> inner loop in C?

As Andrew pointed out, librsync is already written in C, and a few of
the time-critical portions are already in C.  There's no one (or 15)
functions that take up 90% of the time IIRC.

So the inner loop is already in C :-).  Or alternately, the inner loop
that needs to be sped up is the big one that recurses down a directory
and checks to see if any files have changed.

My understanding of the way disk and processor speeds are changing is
that the difference favors rdiff-backup, and that long term it's more
important to increase reliability and features than CPU speed.

--
Ben Escoto