[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff restore 'missing' on os x tiger

From: Chris Kausel
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff restore 'missing' on os x tiger
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:20:43 -0800 (PST)

I looked through the archives to see if I could find
this issue, but I could not.

The problem I'm having is that if I backup a file,
delete it, and then make a new backup, I can't restore
the deleted file anymore.  I've tried using the
restore function with 2D on the parent directory, but
this only restores the files that still exist.  This
forces me to use the increment file restore method.

First problem: I have to hunt through the backups to
find the exact file I want.  On os x, it looks like
30+% of my files get their filenames garbled
('quoting?') and it's really difficult to figure out
which is the exact file I want.

Next problem: lets say I actually deleted a whole
directory of hundreds of files by accident and now I
want to restore them.  The increment method seems to
only allow specifying one unique file to restore at a
time as opposed to just restoring the parent
directory.  I'm pretty new at the CLI and have never
written a shell script, so making a script to
one-by-one restore all the .missing files is way
beyond me.  For now, I would have to manually restore
each file, and go through the problem of typing out
the full garbled name, which seems to have a huge
number of characters and tab-complete is not helpful
when there are hundreds of these similarly named
files.

Last problem: this is the most critical one, I guess.
Even if I manage to manually labor through the above
two issues, I'm having a problem (bug? ignorance on my
part?) restoring using the increment file method.  The
files simply are not appearing after I run the
command.  I created a directory on my desktop called
temp and tried restoring these deleted files into it.
Instead, temp vanishes without a trace and there's no
restored file.  No matter how many different ways of
restoring one of these .missing files, I just can't do
it.

any help on any of these points would be greatly
appreciated!

thanks
chris