Re: [rdiff-backup-users] exit status

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] exit status
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:49:36 -0600

> I am looking for a list of exit status codes for rdiff-backup
>
> i.e: I do not want to alert when a non-critical error occurred. Say a
> file changed while backing up, rdiff-backup make an alert, but
> ultimately the backup was successful, I don't want to alert.
>
> If the backup fails because the remote machine ran out of disk space, or
> if it could not connect to remote machine in the first place, or
> something critical that prevents the backup from completing, I want to
> alert.
>
> The 0 or 1 exit status as described in the man page does not quite cater
> for this.

Checking zero/non-zero is probably what you want.  If there are
ListErrors or UpdateErrors, the exit code will still be 0 as long as
rdiff-backup finishes normally.  I updated the man page to make this
clearer:

        If rdiff-backup finishes successfully, the exit status will be 0.
        If there is an unrecoverable (critical) error, it will be non-zero
        (usually 1, but don't depend on this specific value).

--
Ben Escoto