Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:42:32 -0500

On 26 Nov 2005, at 09:00, Kevin Horton wrote:

On 19 Nov 2005, at 24:21, Ben Escoto wrote:

Kevin Horton <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:39:49 -0500

Hmm, I don't really know what could be the problem. My one thought is that there might be a problem with python's gzip on your system. I've
written a little gzip script on your system, you can download it at:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php? item_id=15006&item_file_id=3111

Once saved you can:

chmod 755 gzip-python
./gzip-python <file>

and it will work a bit like gzip, writing a compressed version of
<file> to <file>.gz.  So I'd be interested to see if you can compress
files (including large files, like 4GB+ files) that decompress to the
correct original files.

I did a whole bunch of testing using the above gzip-python script. There is indeed a problem somewhere with large files. I got a high failure rate with large (5.7 GB) files using fink's python 2.4.2 and also with Apple's stock python 2.3.5. I will take this up in another forum.

I'm giving up on rdiff-backup for now, as it seems that there are python issues on OS X that make it unreliable for me. I am prepared to help out with testing in my spare time, and I hope to be using rdiff-backup again someday.

I eventually figured out that I had a bad stick of RAM. It seemed to work fine most of the time, but it had one bit at one location that would stick if the machine was working hard. One run of tests in memtest would pass, but if you put it on several rounds of successive tests it would start failing. I pulled that bad stick out, and have been using rdiff-backup hard for the last week - no failures. I also did a large number of tests using your gzip-python script on a 5.7GB file - no failures.

So, I will be happy to participate in any OS X related testing again. I'm currently using rdiff-backup 1.1.4, installed via the fink packaging system, with no extra patches.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada