rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 15:26:06 -0800

From: Michael Fratoni <address@hidden>
<snip>
That pretty much defines slinky. Little in the way of choices during
install. You get a default base setup, plus option additional package
groups.

Maybe there is another way to promote RULE. I think that someone brought it up already. On the website it might be helpful to say that they can install a base install of RH, then remove files & binaries a little at time, so that they can get a feel for how important certain files are.

A while ago, when I read about LinuxFromScratch, I found myself still wanting to know more about certain files and details. If there was a tutorial or a walk through that explained the value of certain directories, then people might be more inclined to learn about Linux. The LinuxFromScratch HowTo explains what is needed from install to reboot. The HowTo/tutorial that I'm thinking of would explains things from the other way around; it will show users what happens when you remove files.

One advantage that this will have over LinuxFromScratch is that it will not require a compiler, & we can give an exact minimum amount of required disk space.

> Maybe the README or rpm info should mention why the software was
> created in the first place.

I'd agree that it would be useful to include a list of available packages,
what they do, what they don't and why a user might want to try them.

I hereby nominate Eugene to write the above detailed descriptions. ;)

Oh, no. You misunderstand. I just wanted to complain & grumble about it. I didn't actually intend to do something about it. ;^)

Seriously, though. Maybe it would be worth doing something in the near future. Because I don't have as much expertise as others, I would only be able to get things started.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp