rule-list

Re: [RULE] Install help [was: Re: What should go in the RULE install gu

From: Michael Fratoni
Subject: Re: [RULE] Install help [was: Re: What should go in the RULE install guide?]
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:43:54 -0500

On Sunday 30 March 2003 12:57 pm, Da Worm wrote:

> On 3/30/2003 at 5:02 AM Michael Fratoni wrote:
> >This isn't as difficult as you've been lead to believe. Have you been
> > able to create a boot disk and disk2 using the rawrite utility?
>
> Yes, rawritewin works just fine, with the exception that it doesn't
> report any write errors.  The first disk I made didn't work, but the
> second one did.

That's to be expected from time to time. Floppy media isn't very reliable.
Using a linux machine, 'dd' fails silently from time to time as well.

> >The included modules are:
[...]
> Can I just delete these and add the de620 module I need?

Yes, of course. However, disk2 is an ext2 filesystem. It's probably easier
to just copy the module to another disk.

I'll can add the de620.o module to disk2, as there is plenty of room for
it. I'll post new images later tonight, as there are other updates I'm
working on as well.

> The de620.o requires command line parameters.  I think they too can be
> put in the script, but am unsure.

Yes, just add them to the 'insmod' command.
'insmod /path/to/de620.o your_options_here'

> From my first message:
> > Toshiba Satellite 115CS
> >   P100, 16Meg RAM
> >   C&T 65548 graphics chip
> >   720 meg HD (replaced broken 810 meg that was standard)

Hrmm, I must have missed it, I don't recall seeing the message.

> > I do not have a CD Rom, and the only network interface I have is a
> > D-Link DE-620 parallel port 10BaseT adapter.

I've never used one of these, let me know how it goes, please?

> Thanks for the more detailed explanation.  Even if my friend succeeds,
> I'll probably go through all of this again, since it will be useful to
> know for later systems.  I'm not sure I should be disappointed or glad
> I don't have a PCMCIA network adaptor.  It seems as if that would be
> easier.  But while I actually have three cards, I don't have any
> dongles.  Figures, doesn't it?

Yup, figures.

- --
- -Michael