rule-www

Re: [Rule-www] directory structure for the web site

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: Re: [Rule-www] directory structure for the web site
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:13:23 +0200

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 23:37:12 at 11:37:12PM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:

> In version 1 a Link from a deep page from one language to another looks
> like this: ../../../../de/dir1/dir2/dir3/$FILENAME In version 2 it's
> just ../de/$FILENAME . Easier to write, isn't it? (as you can see, I
> strongly prefer relative links, they will work on any mirror, even
> things like www.domain.com/~rulegeek/rule/...)

Of course, whatever way we do it it's going to be relative links or
it's a nightmare.

OTOH, if we set a BASE URL in all pages and change it automatically
with a Perl one liner before moving from mirror to mirror (**), even
version 1 becomes just "de/dir1/dir2/dir3/$FILENAME", right?

        Ciao,

                Marco

(**) More probably, it would be a PHP mirror-level variable
--
Non si vive se non il tempo che si ama.                 C. A. Helvetius