rule-www

[Rule-www] directory structure for the web site

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: [Rule-www] directory structure for the web site
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:12:05 +0200

Hello RULE webmasters,

so far we've made it going with a flat structure (all the stuff in the
root directory) but it's time to start thinking to a smarter
structure. Some random thoughts, just to have something to discuss
together (IMPORTANT: I wrote everything here to have a common starting
point, but don't hesitate to split replies in separate threads
with new subjects along the way)

OK, here we go:

        whatever directory structure we choose, must be easy to
        reproduce/manage in multiple languages,

        site map: so far I've made it with the sitemap.sh script,
        something smarter (PHP-based?) is needed. Do you know any
        other existing application for this?

        applications: eventually, for each application we may have

                1) the corresponding records in the database
                2) RULE-specific documentation
                3) " "  "  "     config/install scripts
                4) what else

        and all this stuff should be linked together in a standard way
        so that when you query the database for $SOME_APP, the
        resulting dynamic web page contains links to:

                $SOME_APP/$LANG/docs.html
                $SOME_APP/config.html(php?)
                $SOME_APP/install.html(php?)

        Ciao,
                Marco

--
People often find it easier to be a result of the past than a cause of
the future.