Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:30:15 +0100

My understanding follows ...

    I spent a bit of time thinking about this and wondered why this was
    any more of an issue on a wiki than a public mailing list,

On a mailing list, it is clear that any given message comes from its
author.  Therefore the views of a random poster can't be reasonably
mistaken for the views of GNU.

This is not true on a wiki.  If the url ends in .gnu.org, it is in fact
likely that a casual reader will assume that pretty much everything is
said and linked on there is approved by GNU.

Now, .nongnu.org is another story.  There it clearly wouldn't be
mistaken for GNU.  But since savannah is supposed to support free
software, the same issues arise nevertheless.

    or in fact the existing FSF Groups wiki.

I assume FSF staff are monitoring that wiki.  That is the promise rms
has asked wiki-proposers to make -- to monitor thir wiki and remove
things promoting proprietary software, etc., etc.  Not just let it go
wild.

I am a bit doubtful that merely having a web form with a check box would
suffice as a promise, but maybe.

So aside from the issues Sylvain has raised, I do think that any general
wiki feature on savannah should be run by rms.

karl