Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:37:04 +0100

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 06:20:28AM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 01:30:15AM +0100, Karl Berry wrote:
> > My understanding follows ...
> >
> >     I spent a bit of time thinking about this and wondered why this was
> >     any more of an issue on a wiki than a public mailing list,
> >
> > On a mailing list, it is clear that any given message comes from its author.
> > Therefore the views of a random poster can't be reasonably mistaken for the
> > views of GNU.
> >
> > This is not true on a wiki.  If the url ends in .gnu.org, it is in fact
> > likely
> > that a casual reader will assume that pretty much everything is said and
> > linked on there is approved by GNU.
>
> Ah, this is a good point that I had not thought about.

So if I understand correctly, a closed wiki restricted to GNU projects
members wouldn't have this problem - just like webpages.

Similarly a closed wiki with a "comment" feature would be fine as it
clearly distinguishes between staff content and user-contributed
content. Am I right?

Is this documented anywhere? I never stumbled upon this issue. We also
have wiki.GNUarch.com which is open, and the Savannah maintenance wiki
too.