[Savannah-hackers] [fwd] www: GIF files

From: Mark H. Weaver
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [fwd] www: GIF files
Date: 19 Jan 2002 13:51:04 -0500

Who sent this message?  I like to know who's talking to me, especially
when they're asking me to do a job.

Humans write messages, not mailing lists.  Even the "Received" headers
do not reveal the origin, as it was sent by address@hidden

Why did this anonymous person send this job to me, and only me?

I'm also rather puzzled that this person would take the time to write
a script to do the task, and then ask me to run it.  Why don't they
just run the script?

        Mark

--- Begin Message --- Subject: www: GIF files Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:50:48 -0500
    Hi,

    Could you please remove the following GIF files from the project
www hosted on the GNU machines ?

    For an explanation on why there are not GIF files on the GNU
machines read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html. This policy was
established years ago by the GNU project and is an integral part of
the requirements for every project registering on savannah.gnu.org
(see http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php).

    The home page of your project is
      http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/www/

    You can convert GIF files to PNG using the gif2png program.
      http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/gif2png/gif2png-2.4.2.tar.gz

    Here is a sample script to convert the GIF files that are in
your web pages to PNG.

    export CVS_RSH=ssh
    cvs -d address@hidden:/webcvs co
    cd

    while read file
    do
        gif2png -O $file.gif
        cvs delete -f $file.gif
        cvs add $file.png
    done <<'EOF'
software/cfengine/cfconsole/cfconsole
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/img1
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/img2
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/img3
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/img4
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/l2h22381/img1
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/l2h22543/img2
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/l2h22543/img3
software/cfengine/cfengine-NT/l2h22543/img4
software/gnumeric/gnumeric3
software/gnumeric/gnumeric4
software/gnumeric/gnumeric5
software/gnumeric/gnumeric6