Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah was hard to navigate

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah was hard to navigate
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:46:19 +0000

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:06:12AM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> I agree with this... I would add one more thing:
>
> It would be really nice to have the project namespace descend to cover
> the items in the menu bar, rather than having an altered namespace.
>
> If I want to go straight to the emacs cvs I have to use this URL:
>
>    http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=40
>
> Whereas if I want to go to the main page of the emacs project I use
> this URL:
>
>    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs
>
> I think you should be able to go to the emacs source like this:
>
>    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/cvs
That's a good idea. I've always found that cvs/?group_id=40 stuff too
confusing. I propose implementing your idea in two steps:

  1- make http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?emacs work as well as
          http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=40
  2- writting down an Apache redirect rule to make
     http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/project/cvs go into
     http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?project

> Maybe, solving rms' problem is just a name change. Change "CVS" to
> "Source Code".
That will solve part of the problem, but I also think that the "Browse the
repository links" that appear on a table on the right of the CVS page should
be incorporated smoothly with the rest of the text. If nobody objects, I will
do that change.

Adding another link on the left menu (something such as "Project source code")
as RMS proposes is also easy; I can try to do that too.

> If you do that I would also change "Files" to "Releases".
In fact, I think we should take the opportunity to define a common
terminology. I get very confussed when I see a project's name referred as
"software", "project" or "group" in different parts of Savannah. It would be
nice to have a consistent term in different parts of the website, as well as
in the SQL tables. It may not be worth it to change it everywhere now, but if
we agree to a common terminology, we can keep it in mind for the new
implementation of Savannah.

Jaime