Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?

From: Patrick Ohnewein
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:02:25 +0100

        What you use to develop is of no consequence to anyone, except
for yourself. When distributing the Free Software you produce, it is
of great consequence to everyone if it can only be run using non free
software.

Yes, that's my question. Is it acceptable if the Java program just runs under the SUN VM, which for what I know isn't free software. Or has it to run at least under one free VM?

        Now, your question is probably : would java byte code
generated by the sun jdk run on kaffe ? That I cannot say, maybe Nic
can give you an answer.

Here I suspect I will not get running everything, I've read on there side they support Java 1.1, which is fairly old. Probably there isn't a swing available in kaffe, which is a big issue to applications with graphical user interface.

Of course I have first to run some tests to be sure, these are just
speculations.

If it is possible for us to write a Java program, using SUNs VM and SUNs or IBMs compiler, it means we can open the project and even further projects. If we have to write the Java program to run under at least one free VM, I guess we will have some problems, because it seams the best free VM is kaffe and we suspect it not to be enough for our needs (I think about other bigger projects, not the chess prog). You probably could answer me now, that kaffe is free software, that I could get the source and extend it, but I don't know if I have the skills to do that.

So resume:
Can a java program, which *requires* SUNs VM, be free software?

Best regards

Patrick

|  Save software competition, use GNU/Linux and Java!
|
|  Also visit http://www.lugbz.org the Linux User Group in Southtyrol!

The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.