[Savannah-hackers] Re: /etc/group fucked up

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: /etc/group fucked up
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:48:47 +0100

Mathieu Roy wrote:
Loic Dachary <address@hidden> a tapoté :

        While testing a rewrite of /usr/local/bin/cvssh in perl I ran
into a badly fucked up /etc/group. Entries following the anoncvs group
were very ill formated. I removed them since they apparently come from
a wrong insertion of login names instead of proper groups. The previous
file is /etc/group-fucked-up-2003-12-02 for diagnostic.

Some strange errors occured when the sv_user group was running. This
script does not write to /etc/group directly but call the patched
usermod.
I'm afraid that this problem is related to our very very non standard
big groups.

I'm maybe going to say something not pertinent, but wouldn't it be possible to evaluate a LDAP support to manage all these users and groups ? It seems that we're pushing the old flat files to their limit. Packages 'libpam-ldap' and 'libnss-ldap' support that I believe. This would also be very useful for the frontend since we would have a central user/group structure rather than a DB-to-filesystem sync problem. The only trouble is that the current LDAP server in Woody (slapd) drags GTK+ and the X-Window smala (very bad packaging, hopefully fixed in testing). I don't have LDAP experience but plan to use it on my own server very soon (for roaming purposes).