Re: [Savannah-hackers] webcvs

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] webcvs
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:41:14 +0100

James E. Blair wrote:
We would like to put the webcvs repositories in the same chroot
environment as the source code repositories.  How is access to the web
cvs area determined?  Is it that the same developers who can use the
source code repository can use the web repository?  Are there any
other things that make the web cvs repository different?

As far as I remember, the source and web repositories are treated equally wrt. to access rights. The web repository was a single one, making it easier to update the web site (a simple cvs export would do the job). It was raising some issues, since everybody wanted to tweak this repository his own way (think mail on commit for instance).

It is IMHO a good idea to let projects have their own web repository. Then we can have our own web-update backend which can be as complex and customizable as we want (web site layout always go crazy anyway), without bothering developers with symlinks, funky cvs paths or such.

The basic rules are : <gnu-project> maps to http://www.gnu.org/software/<gnu-project> and <nongnu-project> to http://www.nongnu.org/<nongnu-project>. Then you have a bunch of exceptions that were installed on demand, mainly for 'special' GNU projects. I suggest to contact the gnu.org web maintainers for the special part.