Re: [savannah-help-public] How to reclaim my (old) project?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] How to reclaim my (old) project?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 18:47:22 -0600

    Hmm, so does that mean ftp.gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org are two
    different repositories?

Yes, very much so.  ftp.gnu.org is a simple ftp/http site from which
GNU releases are distributed.  savannah is about having a source
repository (cvs/bzr/svn/git/whatever), and for updating the package's
web pages on www.gnu.org.

    GNU infrastructure is somewhat a closed book to me,

High-level page describing GNU developer resources:
http://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html

Specifics mostly in the GNU maintainers guide:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain.

    As I said I lost my server credentials. From what you write I get the
    impression ftp.gnu.org would be the preferable location for updates?

Yes, ftp.gnu.org is where the releases go.  You need to register your
GPG key with FSF sysadmin to be able to upload there.  The web page
about this is
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Automated-FTP-Uploads.html
In short:

1. Run gpg --gen-key to create a GPG key for yourself, if you don't
already have one.

2. Run gpg --export --armor address@hidden
and upload the resulting ASCII version of the GPG key to the savannah
account you just created, on the "My Account Conf" page.

3. Email a GPG-signed message to address@hidden saying you're the
maintainer of vera and want to upload releases to ftp.gnu.org.
(gpg --clearsign MSGFILE will create MSGFILE.asc to be sent.)

After they confirm (a manual process, so there can be a delay0, you can
then upload vera-1.18.tar.gz (for example) to ftp.gnu.org with this
command:
  gnupload --to ftp.gnu.org:vera  vera-1.18.tar.gz

where the gnupload script is available from
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/build-aux/gnupload

I know this not nearly as simple as just running ftp, but it's pretty
unavoidable given the desire to have signed releases.

Hope this helps,
Karl