Re: cutting and pasting from vim to vim expands tabs

From: Sami Samhuri
Subject: Re: cutting and pasting from vim to vim expands tabs
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 13:14:06 -0700

* It was Sun, May 30, 2004 at 04:43:05AM -0700 when ippi said:

> Hi Sami.
>
> --- Sami Samhuri <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I think you are looking for :set paste and :set
> > pastetoggle=".."
>
> Though this is a great way to temporarily turn off
> autoindent (thanks for the tip), it doesn't solve the
> problem off having my tabs expanded out to spaces.

Ok I get what you mean. My bad, should've read more carefully.

> >From changing the tabstop value in the source file and
> the destination file I have gathered that the
> expansion from tabs to spaces occurs when the text is
> copied rather than when it's pasted. I think this is
> why I presumed it was a problem with my screen
> settings rather than with vim.

Ok I'll see if I can help you with this one since I'm bound to run into
this sooner or later. Are you copying using the mouse or yanking in vim?
I believe you said from one virt console to another so I'm guessing
you're using the mouse and gpm, or are you using screen's copy/paste
functionality?

--
Sami Samhuri