piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:05:37 +1000

When I pipe multiple files to vi, via xargs (with a find, may be a cut,
etc), eg:

find blah|grep blahh|cut dodah|xargs vi -o

that works, although vi says "input not from terminal", or may be
"output" I don't remember, and when I exit the last file from within vi,
my screen is kind of dead. I can change to other screens, go into copy
mode, and issue : commands.

I end up in this sort of copy mode, but it's not, and it's not my bash
prompt either.

:break and :reset don't do anything.

:kill obviously kills the screen, but that's not exactly what I want -
so, is there a better way?

tia
zen