Re: piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:04:35 +1000

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 22:14, Joe Zbiciak wrote:
> Zenaan,
>
> I highly doubt this is a Screen issue.  This is more a
> basic UNIX question.  I'd be surprised if your command
> worked outside Screen,

The command works both inside and outside screen - I get a vim session
with all the files I've "passed in". It's just when I exit the last file
that I end up with a dead terminal.

> for the very reason VI/VIM complains.  The stdin is a pipe.

You're right though. Same happens in an xterm - I'd mistakenly thought
I'd done it previously outside screen.

> Try vi -o `find blah | grep blahh | cut dodah` instead.
> xargs isn't smart enough to hook vi's stdin back up to
> a TTY.

Yes, of course - good point. Thanks.

> The "sorta-dead" vi session is probably stuck at the
> "ex command prompt," without any way to pass it input.
> Try the following:
>
>  -- Hitting Ctrl-C multiple times
>  -- Hitting Ctrl-\ multiple times
>  -- Typing :q! and pressing enter a couple times.
>     (this last step is least likely to work.)
>
> One of those should get you out of "pipe something to VI".

None of those work actually. All remain in dead terminal state.

Thanks
Zen