[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Hardstatus and UTF-8 NFD

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Hardstatus and UTF-8 NFD
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:10:01 -0500
User-agent: Mutt/1.5.18 (2008-05-17)

cc: devel (original report:

* Xavier Guérin had this to say on [18 Feb 2010, 18:00:46 +0100]:
> Here are two screenshots:
> 1 - Normalized UTF-8, screen version 4.0.3 on SL (10.6.2) using macports 
> (good_behaviour) :
> 1 - Normalized UTF-8, screen version 4.1.0 on SL (10.6.2) using the git repo 
> (bad_behaviour) :
> The situation is as follows: my ZSH's chpwd updates the current window title 
> with the current PWD. The issue is that apple uses UTF-8 norm D to store its 
> file names (Normalized Form Decombined, NFD). The solution I found with 
> screen 4.0.3 was to renormalize PWD into a combined form.
> What exactly happens with 4.1.0 is as follows: as soon as I change PWD to a 
> directory which name contains and UTF-8 character (normalized), the 
> hardstatus disappears, screen resets the buffer,  and some '\n' are printed 
> out. From this moment, screen keeps behaving weirdly until I change PWD.

Thank you very much. This is quite useful.

I could reproduce the problem with a 'Thèse' directory of my own. For
this particular case, the attached patch works for me. But it is likely
that the patch is not completely correct, and may break auto-hardstatus
for windows for some. I am weak on encoding issues, and I need to
test more to fine-tune the fix. In the meantime, if you could try it out
and let me know if this works you too, then that'd be great.

Also, help/suggestions about the encoding issue from anyone would also be
very welcome!


Attachment: s-hardstatus-file-utf8.patch
Description: Text document

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]