cc: devel (original report: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/2010-02/msg00036.html
* Xavier Guérin had this to say on [18 Feb 2010, 18:00:46 +0100]:
Here are two screenshots:
1 - Normalized UTF-8, screen version 4.0.3 on SL (10.6.2) using macports (good_behaviour) :
1 - Normalized UTF-8, screen version 4.1.0 on SL (10.6.2) using the git repo (bad_behaviour) :
The situation is as follows: my ZSH's chpwd updates the current window title with the current PWD. The issue is that apple uses UTF-8 norm D to store its file names (Normalized Form Decombined, NFD). The solution I found with screen 4.0.3 was to renormalize PWD into a combined form.
What exactly happens with 4.1.0 is as follows: as soon as I change PWD to a directory which name contains and UTF-8 character (normalized), the hardstatus disappears, screen resets the buffer, and some '\n' are printed out. From this moment, screen keeps behaving weirdly until I change PWD.
Thank you very much. This is quite useful.
I could reproduce the problem with a 'Thèse' directory of my own. For
this particular case, the attached patch works for me. But it is likely
that the patch is not completely correct, and may break auto-hardstatus
for windows for some. I am weak on encoding issues, and I need to
test more to fine-tune the fix. In the meantime, if you could try it out
and let me know if this works you too, then that'd be great.
Also, help/suggestions about the encoding issue from anyone would also be