Re: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile and co

From: Paul Schlie
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile and config.h for manual configuration]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:33:51 -0500

> From: "E. Weddington" <address@hidden>
>
> Paul Schlie wrote:
>
>>> I feel that if you continue to call it simulavrxx, it will just make it
>>> more confusing to users as to what it is.
>>>
>>> I would like to propose that you call it simulavr, but with a different
>>> version number please. I understand that the internals are vastly different.
>>
>> - please don't. simulavrxx (or whatever one chooses to name it) should not
>> be implied to the most current release of simulavr, implying that the C
>> based simulavr is dead, as there are definite advantages to having a plain
>> old C based simulator, which doesn't require C++ to build, thereby possibly
>> allowing it to be more easily integrated with/into other tools
>
> If this is the case, then the project itself should be renamed on Savannah.
>
> And then one would have to explain, over and over, what the heck the two
> "X"s at the end of the name mean..... (Why two? Why not 3?....Huh?)

Unless I misunderstand, simulavrxx was hosted on simulavr project site as a
convenience/courtesy; with no implications beyond that. I'd guess both
projects can/should continue to be co-hosted but use separate cvs sub-
directories for each?

Personally the name simulavrxx seems reasonable, and shouldn't be confusing
given it's heritage (but could possibly be more clearly explained); my only
concern is that it not be unnecessarily cast as simulavr's most current
release, as it's not.