sketch-devel

Re: Go for Cairo?

From: C. Ecker
Subject: Re: Go for Cairo?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:41:02 +0200 (MEST)

Go for Cairo?

This is a quite fundamental question. From my point of view there are pros
and cons:

Contra:
. Cairo is in an early stage
. an additional dependence
. risk that Cairo will not be developed as anounced, i.e. stopped
. additional packaging effort
. PDF export is not implemented yet and PS only rasterized

Pro:
. solves a lot of skencil problems at once: transparency, PS and PDF
  export
. probably it becomes part of gtk (really ?)

>From looking at the demos I have a quite positive impression. In the worst
case that cairo develpment would be suddenly stopped we can only use it
for pixmap rendering and it would be just a replacement for libart. In the
best case we would get transparency with ps and pdf export for free. So
there is a lot to win and the risk (and also the effort) is not too high
therefore my vote is a clear 'yes'.

Christof