sketch-devel

Re: Go for Cairo?

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: Re: Go for Cairo?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:49:17 +0200

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:41:02AM +0200, C. Ecker wrote:
> Go for Cairo?
>
> This is a quite fundamental question.
> From my point of view there are pros and cons:
>
> Contra:
> . Cairo is in an early stage

Yes, Bernhard also told me that he has heard that Cairo is not as
advanced as libart yet and the gimp guys decided against Cairo yet.
They also think that a libart version in CVS does not have that
numerical problems anymore (which would solve the most part
of Skencil's problem with libart.)

> Pro:
> . solves a lot of skencil problems at once: transparency, PS and
> PDF export

Hard to judge from my perspective as I believe Skencil should keep
some of its own data structure and probably will have special needs
regarding transparency support and printed vector output.
Usually a vector drawing application as special needs and the design
of Cairo might not be up for it.

> From looking at the demos I have a quite positive impression. In the worst
> case that cairo develpment would be suddenly stopped we can only use it
> for pixmap rendering and it would be just a replacement for libart. In the
> best case we would get transparency with ps and pdf export for free. So
> there is a lot to win and the risk (and also the effort) is not too high
> therefore my vote is a clear 'yes'.

:)
At least we should try at some point.
        Bernhard R.