social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 00:08:12 -0400

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 21:16 -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> On 05/27/10 20:20, Ted Smith wrote:
>
> > Who else is involved in the "inner circle" of GNU Social? You and Rob
> > Myers are mentioned in the "The next step" email; is anyone else
> > involved? Could you all add a "People" page on the wiki so that we could
> > have a more transparent structure?
>
> There's no inner circle as such -- the only people who've signed
> copyright assignment forms are: Myself, Don Robertson, Deborah
> Nicholson, Rob Myers, Steve DuBois, plus Sean and Ian.
>
> Myself, Rob and Sean are on the verge of announcing a protocol plan.

From my point of view, it seems that a group of people has formed that
has a bit of a denser network than everyone else, and that group is
(quite naturally) having a lot of internal discussion about what GNU
Social should be.

The plus side of this is that GNU Social gets pushed forward by a
dedicated core. The downside of this is that a lot of people get left
out, just because they haven't gotten themselves integrated into that
core.

This sounds a lot like a problem activist groups have often; a very good
article that's on that topic is The Tyranny of Structurelessness:
<http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm>

I highly recommend that anyone Matt named in this email read that
article - and that anyone else who's interested do so as well ;-)

What I'm really hoping for is for this to become a bazaar, not a
cathedral.

- Ted