RE: ./configure fails, cannot find libmilter?

From: Tony Shadwick
Subject: RE: ./configure fails, cannot find libmilter?
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:04:34 +0000 (GMT)

> > [erwin:local/src/spamass-milter-0.1.3a] numbski# locate libmilter
> > /usr/include/libmilter
> > /usr/include/libmilter/mfapi.h
> > /usr/include/libmilter/mfdef.h
> > /usr/lib/libmilter.a
>
> Unless you've modified your local meaning of "locate", all that command
> really does is show you that libmilter was there the last time the database
> was updated.  While there still could be some problem with configure (or as
> someone else alluded to, the library search path), locate doesn't carry much
> weight to show that something is there.

I neglected to state that right before that I did:

/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

So yes, that DOES carry weight. :)

> > Just so you know, when I built sendmail, I added the
> > appropriate line to
> > site.config.m4 to include miltering, did a ./Build from the top level
> > directory, then a ./Build in the libmilter subdirectory, make
> > install from
> > the top level, and make install from the libmilter subdirectory.
>
> Having just gone through this process to upgrade to sendmail 8.12.8, I was a
> bit annoyed to have to look in *two* :) different places to find all of the
> appropriate instructions- specifically, sendmail-8.12.8/devtools/Site/README
> instructs you to do a "./Build -c" from the top level after adding the right
> line to site.config.m4, otherwise your m4 file will not be used.
>
> I'd think that you would then need to do the "Build" and "Build install" in
> libmilter first, before doing the Build in the top level.

So let me get this straight:

Edit site.config.m4
cd to libmilter
./Build
./Build install
./Build -c from top level
./Build install from top level?

Ack this is a mess...really need to throw together a detail install
document for this. :P