libao's alsa output broken since speechd 0.8

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: libao's alsa output broken since speechd 0.8
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:10:58 -0700

Halim Sahin <halim.sahin at t-online.de> writes:

> Hi,
> I used our libao driver with speechd 0.7.1 and was realy happy with
> stability etc.
> Some days ago gentoo announced 0.8 and now libao doesn't work with alsa
> (set in libao.conf).

0.8 is the first release with the audio plugin architecture.
When libao is loaded as a Speech Dispatcher audio plugin, libao's alsa
backend breaks.  This is an upstream bug in libao.  Other things that
load libao with dlopen, such as libao's Python language bindings, are
broken with libao's alsa backend as well.
See this bug report:
http://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1779
It's all well-documented there.

I could probably work up a patch to fix this for Linux, but I don't know
how to fix it for MacOS.

-- Chris