libao's alsa output broken since speechd 0.8

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: libao's alsa output broken since speechd 0.8
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:01:43 -0700

Halim Sahin <halim.sahin at t-online.de> writes:

> So it would be nice if you can provide a patch and get this upstream!
> Thx a lot for your fast response Chris!!

Hey Halim,
We can actually fix this downstream in Speech Dispatcher.  I'll be
sending a patch in my next message.  This has been tested.  Basically,
the fix is to load the libao plugin with RTLD_GLOBAL passed as a flag in
the dlopen call.  The implementation is slightly more complicated than
that, because we're using libtool's wrapper around dlopen.  The
basic idea is that we load the plugin with RTLD_GLOBAL set.

I'm not necessarily convinced that this is the right fix, or even that
it is a good idea.  Whose bug is it, anyhow?  Should we be loading
dynamic libraries with RTLD_GLOBAL set, or should libao fix their
plugins so that they don't call into libao, proper?  I don't know.  I'm
inclined to go with the latter, since I've verified that pyao is broken
with alsa in libao 1.1.x.  There hasn't been much response to the bug I
posted on the xiph.org tracker more than two years ago.  Anyway, I'll be
sending along something that works for Speech Dispatcher.  It should
apply cleanly to the 0.8 source distribution as well.

-- Chris