Two syllables dropped speaking Dutch "naburige"

From: Jan Claeys
Subject: Two syllables dropped speaking Dutch "naburige"
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 17:14:33 +0200

On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 07:53 +0200, Frans-Willem Post wrote:
> For some time I have been a user of the Orca screen reader. This week
> I came across an awkward pronunciation bug (I think it's a bug). I
> ruled out Orca by stopping it's speech and going command line.
>
> When I execute the following command, the second and third syllable
> are not spoken. The first and last, however, are. It sounds like "na-
> e".
>
> $ spd-say -l nl "naburige"
>
> I'm writing a blog article about a certain puzzle solving program,
> which works by using referenced neighboring ("naburige" in Dutch)
> puzzle cells. That's how I came across this bug.
>
> Can someone help me get this to work? Can I help improve the Dutch
> pronunciation of speech-dispatcher?

Assuming you are using 'espeak-ng' as the backend (which is the
default, it seems), this is the version in Ubuntu 18.04:

   $ espeak --version
   eSpeak NG text-to-speech: 1.49.2  Data at:
   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/espeak-ng-data

It seems like there is en error in how "naburige" is translated into
phonemes (but it works correctly for "naburig"):

   $ espeak -v nl -x "naburige"
    n'a:@
   $ espeak -v nl -x "naburig"
    n,a:b'yr at x

Maybe this is useful for someone who has experience with how this
works:

   $ espeak -vnl -X "naburige"
   Translate 'naburige'
     1     n        [n]