swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0

From: Miles T. Parker
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:57:51 -0800

On Nov 23, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

Hi Miles,

Many configurable apps that use XML or similar (e.g. Interface Builder NIB files) provide little more functionality than a way to hook up a fixed set of parts together. That simplification is often useful, especially when the domain is well understood and the underlying language for making components is commonly used. But if that configuration language is a modeling language, and the underlying language (or toolkit) is considered a black box, then the situation is more troubling because the domain of use gets radically limited.

I think you're unnecessarily belittling the approach or don't quite grok it. There is no "underlying language" per se. We are not talking about wiring together Java beans or something here. Just because the domain is limited, doesn't mean that its trivial. I find a lot of value in "simplifications" that allow expressive, information dense sharing of information. That is really the very nature of science -- or at least reductionist science -- isn't it? % the costs I acknowledged in last post..

Your claim that the domain of use is "radically limited" is a radical assumptive :), unless you mean "radically limited" with respect to the entire universe of possible models of nature, in which case, granted. I am assuming that you are playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but for that to be a fair critique, I think you should look at the design and describe the "radically large" set of current ABM models that cannot be represented within it. I'm serious, because that would either a) provide a set of design cases that would help to refine and enrich that current meta-model or b) reveal the folly of this enterprise at the earliest possible stage and save me and others a lot of time.. :)

I guess I don't quite understand how the underlying toolkit is seen as a "black-box" anymore than say "Java" is. The specification should certainly be complete and unambiguous and implementations would need to produce consistent repeatable results (perhaps against some reference implementations) from the same set of specifications.

Domain specific languages don't have to have this property. Lisp macros provide one way to make a DSL, where users can step outside that abstract language as needed. Some implementations like Dr. Scheme even provide different default levels of language/API exposure for teaching contexts so that users cannot accidentally step outside a prescribed dialect (DSL).

Yes, of course this kind of support is needed. Again, I think you should take a look at the design before deciding what it does. :) I'm going to have an updated diagram that inclues the behaior stuff RSN; but if you just take a look at metaabm.ecore it should be pretty clear. You can load arbitrary external classes (in fact this was the original usage) and as a more encouraged use you can map to arbitrary functions. I'm not claiming that any of this is perfect but...

Marcus