swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:13:28 -0700

Miles Parker wrote:

I do not think there is any justification for requiring someone to learn the entire set of a general purpose language's functionality before we will let them loose on any kind of algorithmic explanation for natural phenomenon.
Of course not, but that's also not to say that there aren't cases where an algorithmic explanation does require a general purpose programming language, if for no other reason than to figure out what domain specific `macros' make sense. Obviously, once you have well-defined model representations you later can automatically transform that representations to a new, more general representations. And I think we can agree that toolkit approaches don't force users to compress toward a well-factored set of primitives. They also don't prevent it.
Learning, at least as a CS person conceives it, is where we end the current representational capability of metaABM per se, so you've identified an important (current!) boundary.
Using a general purpose programming language, there's the possibility of inferring a DSL by having a computer find or refine minimal programs that explain some pattern of input and output data. Ultimately what should matter are rules of predictive utility, not pretty stories..

Marcus