swarm-951014.tar.gz, swarmdocs-951014.tar.gz

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: swarm-951014.tar.gz, swarmdocs-951014.tar.gz
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 95 01:35:51 MDT

swarm-951014.tar.gz and swarmdocs-951014.tar.gz are ready! They are
available on the web page, http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/release/
user swarm-beta, password AlanTuring, just like before.

Here's a list of changes. First, the big ones:

We have a new application, courtesy of Chris Langton. 2d random turing
machines, in apps/turmites

Some of the toplevel interface to activity, the scheduling library,
has changed. All applications have been updated to reflect these changes:
if you've started writing code, you should look at heatbugs to
refamiliarize yourself. Major things are
  "processor" no longer exists, its function has (largely) been
    replaced by swarmActivity.
  you can no longer schedule directly on a SwarmPlan, but have
    to do it through getStartupPlan
  new main loop construct, as the execution of schedules can now
    return its completion status.
One side effect of this is the quit button is broken again. Who would
think that exiting a program would be so hard? Sorry about that.

In addition, I've changed the heatbugs and antsort schedule code
around a bit, added ActionGroups to them. We used to rely on multiple
actions being scheduled at the same time as happening in sequential
order. That's not correct (but happened to work): by default, actions
at the same time should be executable concurrently. There's now an
extra level of schedule structure, two ActionGroups, to collect the
various actions.

We've split out all documentation into a separate distribution
package. This will make it easier to ugprade the docs and code
independently. You can download the documentation tarfile directly, or
browse it on the web as
  http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/release/swarmdocs/

Also, some small changes:

All calls to random/srandom have been removed.

Calls to printf/fprintf in most libraries have been further removed,
replaced with defobj's warning and error mechanism.

Support/tkobjc changes to make resizing of windows work better