Swarm on Linux

From: Kerry Hanson
Subject: Swarm on Linux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 13:58:53 -0600

That's the same problem I've been having running Swarm on Linux.  I think
I've figured out why but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.  When you
upgrade the gcc compiler to 2.7.2 you also have to upgrade the C libraries,
the binary utilities and ld.so.  Part of the problem is that 2.7.2 compiles
in ELF and 2.6.3 compiles in a.out.  The ELF HOW-TO gives the step-by-step
on upgrading all of these libraries.  After you follow the steps, be sure to
do a final ldconfig after making the cpp link.

After that's done, you probably need to upgrade your kernel.  I and others
have had trouble compiling with 2.7.2 using the 1.2.X kernel.  I completely
rebuilt my system upgrading to the development kernel, 1.3.57, during the
NFC and AFC games yesterday and the whole thing seems to work.  I'm going to
finish reinstalling Nelson's recommended software by tomorrow and try it out.

I'll let you know,

Kerry Hanson

Kerry Hanson                        First there is the beginning;
GII Strategy Manager                Then there is the middle;
Texas Instruments, Inc.             Then there is another beginning...