Re: Swarm GUI

From: John Eikenberry [MSAI]
Subject: Re: Swarm GUI
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:57:04 -0400 (EDT)

> ....... ,but I'd be in favor of this being fixed before any additional
> bells and whistles are added. Unfortunately, it may be a problem with the
> gcc Obj C runtime (as is the problem with PowerPC, POWER, and RS/6000
> platforms -- I'm beginning to wonder whether the runtime isn't just a big
> kludge). (A debugger that actually works with Obj C would also be very
> useful. Of course, it's unclear how much of this the Swarm team should take
> on itself. It's too bad that GNU Obj C isn't ready for prime time.)

Two points,

First I'd like to agree with Ted, that I think the top priority should
be getting swarm working on as many different types of machines as
possible. A good GUI is nice, but expanding and supporting the user
community should come first.

Second, in regard to a debugger (and Obj-C development in general), I
was wondering if anyone has corresponded with any of the GNUStep people.
I know Swarm isn't based on GNUStep at all, but it seems that we might
have some common interests (such as a gdb that fully supports Obj-C).

Thanks,

John Eikenberry
[ address@hidden
  Check out my Linux AI/Alife Mini-Howto @: