Re: GDB question--warning: unable to find dynamic linker function

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: GDB question--warning: unable to find dynamic linker function
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:02:20 -0700

At 10:15 AM 8/25/97 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

>I'm running xemacs and trying to learn about gdb.  When I start gdb (in
>xemacs or an xterm, actually), I get these things that look like error
>messages:
>
>warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
>warning: GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
>warning: and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.

This shouldn't be a problem.  What happens though is that you cannot set a
breakpoint in a shared library until that library has been loaded into
memory.  The best way to do that is first set a breakpoint on main, then
when it breaks there, set the breakpoint to wherever you want in the shared
library.

Of course you may be saying to yourself, but I'm not using shared libraries!
But actually you are because many of the system libraries like libc are
shared libraries on the newer Linuxes.

cheers
Scott