index into documentation? oobr?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: index into documentation? oobr?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 13:44:35 -0500 (EST)

Could someone please remind me..,did anyone ever
create an index into the online swarm documentation?
For example, if a new user comes across something
in a demo program (eg Raster, ActiveGraph, etc),
what is the best way for them to figure out where
to find more documentation on that class?

If there still is not such an index, please forgive
me for suggesting again that this should be a *top*
priority.  Every time I point some new user toward Swarm
as something they might use, and I point them to Heatbugs
or one of the other demo applications as a way to learn,
the very soon come back and say "Well, I see XXX here
in the program...how do I find out if that is part
of Swarm or part of ObjectiveC, and if part of Swarm,
how do I find the documentation page for it?"
The look I get when I tell them "there is no index..."
is not a pleasant one (e.g., "why would you recommend
a package that doesn't have an index into the documentation...").
I can't tell if the look is worse from programming novices
or from experiences programmers (each for their own reasons).

----

I also vaguely remember someone produced a representation
of the full class hierachy...am I right about that,
and if so, is it available online somewhere
(or is there something I can download and run to
generate it)?

Or another take on all this:
What tools do people use to access information
about Swarm features, either in the documentation
or in the class libraries themselves?  (the latter
is useful only to "real programmers" of course!).
Does anyone use anything like OOBR in emacs?

thanks!
 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4068 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 313 763 3323                  Fax: 313 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html