Re: No Java Version of Swarm is planned!

From: Ed Swanstrom
Subject: Re: No Java Version of Swarm is planned!
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:59:57 -0500

Sorry about the confusion I caused by a previous message on the modeling
list server looking to employ Swarm Modelers.

Just so there is no confusion, Agilis Corporation IS delivering a pure JAVA
Swarm-like simulator. It has all the functionality of Swarm, BUT -- it is a
commercial product because of the extra work to place a JAVA 3D and VRML
interface to it and a Simulation Builder.

The interface is JAVA, the engine is JAVA, it is all pure JAVA.

This is a commercial version that is NOT being developed for or by Santa
Fe, BUT -- it will be available to research institutions at a significantly
low cost.

We are planning on delivering a copy to Santa Fe by April 15th for testing.

Ed Swanstrom
President/CEO Agilis Corporation

At 03:37 PM 2/25/98 -0800, Benedikt Stefansson wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>glen e. p. ropella wrote:
>
>>  > If so, will it run on my PPC Mac or will
>>  > have to make some changes?  Thanks, John
>>
>> The target is to provide a version of Swarm that does not require X.
>> It will still require Objective C.  And I believe it will require GNU
>> Objective C.  This means that it's unlikely that the version of Swarm
>> that uses a Java GUI will run on the Macintosh operating system.  (If
>> there's a version of GNU ObjC for Mac, let's hear about it.)  Of
>> course, this doesn't mean you can't run it on your PPC machine.... as
>> long as you use MkLinux (or some other PPC compatible unix) as your
>> operating system.
>
>As you may know Apple has a new OS coming out, code name Rhapsody. This is
>a preemptive multitasking, advanced multithreading, symmetric
>multiprocessing, and protected memory OS, compatible with UNIX (BSD 4.4)
>that also runs MacOS programs in a "Blue Box" process (which is not an
>emulator and thus does not impose a speed penalty).
>
>The target release date is May, which seems to be realistic since a 2nd
>Developers Release is coming out and the system is already very mature and
>stable. This OS will run on all PCI Mac PPCs (see
>http://www.macosrumors.com/rhapinfo.html for a more detailed list), and
>because of it's roots in NeXT Rhapsody supports both Objective-C and GCC
>out of the box, and offers  impressive development tools for ObjC. The
>Java VM is also considered to be excellent.
>
>>From the looks of it a port of Swarm to Rhapsody should be easy on the
>basis of the work that has gone into the NT/JavaGUI project. Of course it
>will take some time, and if the target audience is out there we may
>perhaps entice Apple to support this effort as Intel has done with the NT
>version. Who's willing to give Steve Jobs a call?
>
>-Benedikt
>

>-- ----------------
>Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
>Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
>Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          Tel. (310) 825-1777

>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.

Ed Swanstrom
Agilis Corporation