Problem with Obj-C was Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?

From: Steven I . Citron-Pousty
Subject: Problem with Obj-C was Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:08:52 -0500

Dear swarm users:
As an almost swarm user I would really like to comment on this thread.
The reason I am not using swarm is bc of the lack of a non-friendly
IDE/programming environment and the use of a almost dead programming
language (I use almost dead for lack of a better term, you have to admit
_not many_ courses/web sites/learning experiences are out there for
Obj-C.
I know these complaints sounds wimpy but it is true. I have a lot of
others things to focus on in my research other than learning yet another
programming language and how to interpret the gobldy gook that comes out
of GDB. I consider myself a somewhat computer savy ecologist, I attended
a Santa Fe Summer school where I got to work with the Swarm people, I
can program in some languages and I am mostly self-taught, but with all
this, Swarm is still out of the question for me right now.
I am not the only one in my dept who has been turned off by the
learning/implementation curve for swarm. If SWARM is ever to be accepted
as a "standard" set of tools for individual -based simulations, which I
think is a great idea, it has to be done in a language and environment
thats friendlier to people without an Elect. Engin. degree or without
the time to spend several months learning SWARM/GCC/GDB (if they can do
this on their own). This JAVA implementation sounds great, but Marcus's
letter is disheartening.

>The goal we have is to make Swarm interfaces available to popular Java
IDEs.9
>This goal will be facilitated, but not acheived, with the 2.0 release
>of Swarm.

>First of all, Swarm interfaces need to be declared as `Java Beans'.
>Secondly, for Windows users, the Cygwin DLL that we use has problems
being
>embedded in non-Cygwin environments.

By making the decision to only using GNU/Free products you have made the
learning curve past the reach of people who would really like to use the
product. There are several low cost, especially for academic users,
nicer front ends for programming in object-oriented languages.
I guess I should stop complaining now. Feel free to flame me as you wish
but all this whining is bc I think the SWARM project is a great idea and
I would really like to be involved.
Thanks for listening...
Steve