Re: Problem with Obj-C was Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Problem with Obj-C was Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?
Date: 23 Jun 1999 10:41:18 -0700

SCP> By making the decision to only using GNU/Free products you have
SCP> made the learning curve past the reach of people who would really
SCP> like to use the product. There are several low cost, especially
SCP> for academic users, nicer front ends for programming in
SCP> object-oriented languages.

All I'm talking about are how the core libraries of Swarm are put to
together.  How the libraries are used or packaged is a completely different
matter.

We want it to be be possible to deliver a model to a colleague or
customer without them having to buy some proprietary software package
or library that may not do exactly what it's API documentation says it
should do.

In other words, when you get a Swarm model, it should be possible (if
you want) to watch every single machine code instruction execute and
be able to see how that machine code relates to the higher level
library or model source code.  We want modelers to have all the
information they need to absolutely understand every bit of what the
computer does with a model.  We also want potential code contributors
to Swarm have all the information we have, and to be able to share
that information.

This does not preclude use of non-free front ends in any way, and
I assure you that we have been working quite hard to make use
of proprietary IDEs possible.  But apparently I have to say some
bad things about Emacs or GDB or GNU software to convince you of that.
<Sigh>

(Anyway, I can't figure out how you got this idea, since I mentioned two
proprietary IDEs specifically.)