Greetings from Denmark, SWARM simulation of transport systems

From: Torben Abildgaard Knudsen
Subject: Greetings from Denmark, SWARM simulation of transport systems
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:21:47 +0200

Hi there!!

I subscribed the mailing list a few days ago, and now I think it´s time to
introduce myself ...
I´m a student at the technical university of Denmark (www.dtu.dk) and I´m
hoping to finish my master thesis by the end of the year.
I´m very interested in transport system capacity, and half a year ago I took an
individual course where I tried analytically to determine the capacity of the
transport system RUF (www.ruf.dk). The RUF system is invented here in Denmark,
but is hasn´t been implemented anywhere yet. The main reasons are lack of
investors willing to put money into the project and many aspects/problems yet
not solved. One of them is the capacity of the system. I succeeded in determing
the capacity of the rail part of the system, however i realized, that the
"junctions"/nodes, whatever you call them, are very complex, and (in my
opinion) the only way to determine their (rush-hour) capacity is to use
computer simulation....

This is where SWARM gets into the picture...

One of my supervisors (Bo Friis Nielsen, IMM) told me about SWARM, and as a
part of a three week course in stochastic simulation, he´s teaching, we agreed
that my task would be to investigate wether or not SWARM could be the right
simulation package/tool for my final project.

In this very moment I´m downloading SWARM from the web-page, which indeed is
very impressive. At home I´ve got a PC running Windows 98 (laugh if you want to
;-), but at the university we´re using UNIX machines. I haven´t really got much
experience working with UNIX, however if that´s the only right way, I´ll have
to learn it!!

My questions at this point are:

- what are your experience when trying to install SWARM running under Win98 /
UNIX ? (any good advice?)
- are there any obvious "pitfalls" / some aspects that need more attention than
others ?

I would be very happy, if you would share some of your knowledge with me, since
I´m looking forward to learning the Object Oriented Modelling Techniques and
beginning to implement my own model of the transport system in SWARM.

Enough for this time...
Just a few web-sites, which may be of interest, if you think my project sounds
exciting:

Technical University of Denmark:
http://www.dtu.dk/index_e.htm
Department of Mathematical Modelling, DTU:      http://www.imm.dtu.dk/
Bo Friis Nielsen
http://www.imm.dtu.dk/documents/users/bfn/homepage.html
Department of Planning, DTU:                    http://ifp.dtu.dk
Claus Rehfeld
http://www.ifp.dtu.dk/ts/crehfeld/
The RUF system:                                 http://www.ruf.dk
Palle R. Jensen                                 http://www.idea.dk/

Unfortunately I haven´t really had the time to translate my own homepage into
english, however you will find an english abstract of my project on the adress:
 http://torben.knudsen.homepage.dk/studie/RUF/abstract.htm   if it is of any
interest...

Greetings from Denmark...

Torben A. Knudsen