Re: now 2.1.1 protection fault in SWARM.DLL (Win98)

From: Catherine Dibble
Subject: Re: now 2.1.1 protection fault in SWARM.DLL (Win98)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 13:16:25 -0700

>CD> then dying with a general protection fault in module SWARM.DLL.
>
>All you can do is put in breakpoints (or printfs) to find about the
>last thing that it did...  If you upload it to
>ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/incoming, I may
>have time to look at it.

I'll have a crack at the breakpoints.   This is normally what I would
do when I suspect a programming bug on my part (usually my first
assumption... ;)  ).

Unfortunately, this code has run correctly hundreds of times under
2.0.1, so it does seem to be related to some interaction with 2.1.1.
<testing...>

Okay, it seems to be related to the Action Schedule in Observer Swarm.
I have a set of logActions; it does the first one or two and then dies.
This happens no matter which are put first.  GeoFrame and HappyFrame
are *.png files, the others are *.txt.   The file type doesn't seem to matter
one way or another wrt this bug.     Here's the snippet:

ObserverSwarm.m:

-buildActions {
        // Also, we want to write out some log files at regular repeat intervals
        logActions = [ActionGroup create: self];

        [logActions createActionTo: [geoModelSwarm getWorld] message:
M(writeNodes)];
        [logActions createActionTo: [geoModelSwarm getWorld] message:
M(writeGeoFrame)];
        [logActions createActionTo: [geoModelSwarm getWorld] message:
M(writeAgentStat)];
        [logActions createActionTo: [geoModelSwarm getWorld] message:
M(writeAgentHap)];
        [logActions createActionTo: self message: M(writeHappyFrame)];
...}

-activateIn: (id) swarmContext {

        [super activateIn: swarmContext];

        [geoModelSwarm activateIn: self];

        [displaySchedule activateIn: self];
        [logSchedule activateIn: self];
        [log0Schedule activateIn: self];
        [stopSchedule activateIn: self];

        return [self getSwarmActivity];
}

thanks,

Catherine
This problem, too, will look simple after it is solved.
                                            -- Charles Francis Kettering
 Catherine Dibble
 Department of Geography               www.econ.ucsb.edu/~cath