Swarm 2.1.1 window problems w RedHat 6.2 and Gnome

From: Catherine Dibble
Subject: Swarm 2.1.1 window problems w RedHat 6.2 and Gnome
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:42:26 -0700

Has anyone else tried installing 2.1.1 on RedHat 6.2 yet?

I installed requisite software (but kept the RH tcl/tk -- mistake?
it had 8.0 for each) and everything with the installation went
smooth as silk.

Then I compiled and ran my model and everything ran
fine at first:  windows looked okay, bugs moved around
properly on the GeoGraph, etc.

Unfortunately, things go downhill from there and it
becomes more and more confused wrt the windows;
shifting my canvas and Happiness graphs around and
over one another, then losing part of each (yet still
running the parts that show, sort of).    I couldn't kill
it via the control panel, so I eventually gave up and
used <ctrl-C>.   That did the trick, but left my system
with a black canvas window on my desktop.

Any clues?   Has anyone else tried this?

I really love Gnome and the way the Swarm windows
look on it, if only they'll behave!    (The things we do
for Drone...)

many thanks,

Catherine
ps.  the RH 6.1 rpm won't work on 6.2, even with --force.
This problem, too, will look simple after it is solved.
                                            -- Charles Francis Kettering
 Catherine Dibble
 Department of Geography               www.econ.ucsb.edu/~cath