Re: Swarm 2.1.1 window problems w RedHat 6.2 and Gnome

From: Catherine Dibble
Subject: Re: Swarm 2.1.1 window problems w RedHat 6.2 and Gnome
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:06:02 -0700

Thanks Paul!

Okay, the bottom line is that Swarm 2.1.1 installs and runs
very smoothly on RedHat 6.2 under Gnome running either
Enlightenment or WindowMaker as window managers.

The window problems I'm having with my HappyGraph
and GeoGraph canvas seem to be related to my *.png file
logging every ten time steps.   It does indeed log to the png
files, but once it does it moves both window contents to the
northwestern corner of the screen, superimposes HappyGraph
over the northwest corner of the (larger) GeoGraph, and they
stay active on all desktops for the duration of the run.

I'm not sure I'd care, if it could log the GeoGraph png correctly,
but it logs what it sees and thus contains the HappyGraph.
HappyGraph itself logs fine, but matters a lot less.

I had installed the latest version of png, for what it's worth,
including zlib, etc.  The png seems to work fine, except for its
interaction with the window manager(s).

Any idea?   Paul, I thought you were doing png logging too.
You mean this is working okay for you with WindowMaker
under RH 6.1?  <sigh?>

I don't care about perfection.   All I really need are clean png
logs for the GeoGraphs.  Unfortunately, I need those a lot...

many thanks,

Catherine
ps.  For anyone else who tries this under WindowMaker --
you need to turn off your screen saver or else the png
files will happily log screensaver cutouts.   (Logged windows
stay on top of the screensaver under Win98.)
*==================================================*
 ... and I was not discouraged by the seeming magnitude of the
 undertaking, as I have always thought that one man of tolerable
 abilities may work great  changes, and accomplish great affairs
 among mankind if he first forms a good plan and, cutting off all
 amusements or other employments that would divert his attention,
 makes the execution of that plan his sole study and business.
                                 -- Benjamin Franklin  (9 May 1731)

 Catherine Dibble                                      www.econ.ucsb.edu/~cath
 Department of Geography    University of California, Santa Barbara